Guided Tours of the College
Accompanied by our dedicated tour guides, join us for a tour of the College and learn more about Stonyhurst’s fascinating history.
Visit the College’s Great Hall exhibiting portraits of seven former pupils awarded the prestigious Victoria Cross. See the table Oliver Cromwell slept on the night before the famous Battle of Preston, and stand before the school desk, once inscribed by former pupil, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, creator of Sherlock Holmes.
Guided tours of the College culminate with a visit to the Chapel Museum.
- Guided tours of the College can be arranged for group bookings, numbering 15 or more
- Availability is limited to the school holidays
- Each guided tour runs for approx. 1 hour and 15 minutes and finishes with the opportunity to look around the Museum
- Adults £12.50
- Children under 12 years, £8.00
Private Tours of the Collections
Led by the Curatorial Team, this exclusive private experience offers the opportunity to view some of the College’s fascinating collections in greater depth.
Private tours of the Collections are available throughout the year, subject to the availability of the curatorial team.
With due notice, tours can be tailored to specific interests.
- £20.00 per person
- Maximum group number of 15
Group requests for tailored tours have included:
- Medieval Art History (vestments, sculpture, paintings)
- Ecclesiastical Decorative Arts (vestments, plate, sculpture, stained glass)
- Stonyhurst’s Portraiture and Prints
- Architecture and Historic Interiors
- English Recusancy and the Reformation
- Early Printed and Rare Books
- Natural History, Scientific and Astronomical Exhibits
- Tim Hetherington’s award-winning war photographs of Afghantistan in 2007
Please note that due to the nature of a Grade 1 listed building, no disabled access is provided. The tour route incorporates access to different levels using stairs. Please advise at the point of booking if a member of the party has any special mobility requirements and a member of the team will be able to advise.
“The tour guides were extremely knowledgeable and interesting.
They made the tours even more special!” Visitor
“Every item in the Collections and Historic Libraries tells a story; to teach, to intrigue, and to provoke searching questions about our past and the present world we inhabit.”
Dr Jan Graffius, Curator